2014-11-19

In Defence of Living With Your Parents

*** FUND RAISING STATUS:  WE tried to combine our fund raising note with the vatic note and it didn't work at all.  So we are back to a separate Note for Fund raising.  We are still working on alternative sources for revenues. Our deficit is STILL at $350, due in 12 days, so if you benefitted in any way, from our blog, then please contribute off to the right at the pay pal button.   Will let you know when we pull off the alternative source of revenue we are trying to put together.  We thank you deeply for your continued support of our work.  God bless and keep you safe and healthy.

Vatic Note:   At least this person profiled was hired and working at a paying job.  However, many are forced to either stay at home or return to home due to lay offs, unable to find employment, or simply because they are under paid and can't affort to live away from home. Some have no transportation to be able to seek work.

So parents homes have a shower, phone, access to a car, and a legit address, It can make a major big difference in ones life when it comes to working. That is more what I see, rather than a choice issue.   Many would prefer to be out on their own, but with no job, its impossible. Many parents would prefer to live a retirees life, without the ecumbrances of adult children to look out for.

In order to find work, you have to have access to a place to sleep, a place to shower and clean up, and somewhere you have a  phone for job seeking. But more importantly, when going through the process of finding work, and not obtaining the job, requires a support system in order to keep going without getting depressed or overly anxious about finding one.


In Defence of Living With Your Parents 
http://henrymakow.com/2014/11/in-defence-of-living-with.html - See more at: http://www.henrymakow.com/#sthash.Gg7EC9W3.dpuf
by Rob Rennie, (henrymakow.com)

livingathome.jpgIn 2012, 36% of the nation's young adults ages 18 to 31
were living in their parents' home.


Rob Rennie, 32, defends the practice: 

 
"I'd feel like an idiot handing over more than fifty percent of my paycheck every month just to live in someone else's basement."


I'll be the first to admit that I'm too comfortable living at home. I'm an only child, I have a great relationship with my parents and I live in their basement apartment which has its my own entrance, kitchen and workspace not to mention a queen size bed. I show my parents my appreciation for letting me stay with them by buying groceries, cooking and taking them out to dinner every so often.

What makes this arrangement somewhat okay is that I live in an Italian area in the suburbs of New York City where there are many other guys and girls just like me. I'm half Nicaraguan and half Portuguese, so our cultural practice is children stay home until they're married.



This is all well and good, except in America, if you're not out of the house by 25, you're automatically a loser and a mooch. I definitely feel the pressure to move out of the house, but I'd feel like an idiot handing over more than fifty percent of my monthly paycheck just to live in someone else's basement. It would be like paying a 'no-ridicule tax' just so friends and colleagues can't make fun of me. If that's what this is all about, then bring on the jokes.

RENTS TOO HIGH. YOUNG PEOPLE LEAVING
A couple years ago, I priced a few places. I was willing to pay five hundred a month, but I couldn't find a decent place for that price. Now, years later, the rents in my area are still astronomically high. For a bare bones studio, you're looking at a minimum of 1,000 dollars a month. If you actually want to live in a nice place, you're easily paying 1,500 a month and up.

A year ago, when I used to work as a personal trainer, that would have been my whole paycheck, but these days, as a part-time teacher at a private school, it's a little more than half my paycheck.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm still doing here. I know a lot of married couples from my generation who've left New York because of the taxes and high cost of living years ago. They now reside in red states like Texas, Florida, North Carolina, places like that. I should mention that I live in Westchester County, which is about thirty minutes north of New York City.


If New Yorkers continue to move out, there's going to be no tax-base left. Radio talk show host, Sean Hannity said back in January that he was going to leave New York and that he's talking all of his money with him, "every single solitary penny." Apparently, Hannity's house is on the market.

crosswalk.jpgAnd the really disturbing trend is that as marriage and fertility rates go down across the nation, the median age of New Yorkers has gone up by startling numbers. According to census data from 1990 - 2010, the median age in New York City grew by roughly 2 years, by 5.2 years in the suburbs and 6.6 years upstate. At this rate, New York is going to be one big nursing home in a couple years.

All of this makes me very wary of investing any more time or money here in New York. If all I have to look forward to are higher taxes and an even higher cost of living, then I might as well move now.

As I wait to see if the corruption and liberalism here in New York is going to spread across the country, I might as well stay right where I am - in my parent's basement. As long as New York and America continue to fail miserably at tackling our spending and debt problem, as long as food prices continue to go up, and our moral fabric continues to disintegrate, I'll thank God, and my parents for this safe, comfortable and cheap haven.


"Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come" (Revelation 18:10).
-----

Rob Rennie's site is www.eternalplanner.com
- See more at: http://www.henrymakow.com/#sthash.Gg7EC9W3.dpuf


The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

No comments: